To help create a more peaceful world, the mission of PeaceMaker Minnesota is to help schools be safer places, free from bullying and harassment, and to help youth learn positive relational skills like empathy, respect, cooperation and how to resolve conflicts peacefully.
Because of YOU, fewer kids are being bullied. Schools are getting the resources they need. Kids are learning skills to create caring communities: empathy, respect, cooperation, and peaceful conflict resolution.
Look at these results we achieved together in 2019:
- Maintained partnerships with 29 schools serving 19,305 students.
- Reduced bullying at 11 schools; only 4 of 28 schools reported an increase. Combining results from all schools, 84 fewer kids were bullied when compared to the year their school partnered with PeaceMaker Minnesota. (Olweus Student Bullying Survey Results)
- Provided more than $80,000 in financial assistance to 30 schools to help them buy curriculum, train staff, purchase classroom supplies, bring in speakers, provide additional assistance to students, measure results, etc. Learn more about our Matching Funds Service.
- Trained 65 school staff (bus drivers, teachers, administrators, transportation directors, and others) on how to recognize, report, and respond to bullying. Learn more about our training services.
- Provided 24 workshops for 991 fourth graders led by 25 Ambassadors through our Ambassadors for Respect program.
- Piloted the new “Teaching Students to be PeaceMakers” training with Edison High School in Minneapolis. Nine students and 10 staff received this evidence-based training, which teaches conflict resolution and mediation skills. We continue to work with Edison on this training.
- Helped leadership staff take the first step in improving their school’s climate, facilitating a planning workshop to evaluate efforts, determine goals, and develop plans. Learn more about our Assessment and Planning Workshops.
- Provided $100 to schools for each teacher – 86 in all – who taught lessons using an evidence-based program that reduces bullying and teaches conflict resolution skills. Learn more about our Teacher - Team Recognition and Support Services.
- Contributed more than $50,000 to build up permanent funds that generate annual, sustainable funding for schools to implement and sustain violence prevention efforts. Learn more about our Long-term resources.
April 6, 2020